1883 - Company A, First Regiment, Dakota National Guard, is organized at
Bismarck, Dakota Territory.1985 - The 142nd Engineer Battalion was organized with companies located at
Grand Forks, Fargo, Michigan, and Minnesota.
1889 - North Dakota becomes the Unions
thirty-ninth state. The North Dakota National Guard was organized and included
six infantry companies, two cavalry troops, and one artillery
1898 - Eight infantry companies of the First North Dakota
Regiment are mobilized for the Spanish-American War and the Philippine
Insurrection. The Regiment earns thirty-nine silver battle rings for its guidon
and ten members of the First North Dakota Infantry Volunteers are awarded the
Medal of Honor.
1904 - 1,500 acres near Devils Lake was ceded to the
State of North Dakota by the federal government for use as a permanent military
reservation for the North Dakota National Guard. The camp was known as the Rock
Island Military Reservation, (later renamed Camp Gilbert C. Grafton in
1916 - First North Dakota Infantry Regiment was ordered to active
service at Mercedes, Texas, on the American-Mexican Border to protect American
lives and property against the notorious Mexican bandit,
1917 - The First & Second North Dakota Regiments were
ordered into federal service for World War I. The First North Dakota Regiment
was renamed the 164th Infantry Regiment, and the Second North Dakota Infantry
Regiment was disbanded. North Dakota soldiers were involved in fighting at
Cantigny, Sossions, St. Mihiel, and the Meuse-Argonnes Offensive as members of
the 41st Division.
1937 - The former Bismarck Indian School site and
buildings were transferred from the federal government to the state of North
Dakota for use by the North Dakota National Guard as its head-quarters. The site
was renamed Fraine Barracks in 1945.
1941 - The North Dakota National
Guard's 164th infantry Regiment and the 188th Field Artillery Regiment were
mobilized for service in World War II. 776th Tank Destroyer Battalion formed
from batteries F and H of the 188th Field Artillery Regiment. The 776th went on
to spend more then 550 days in actual combat in Tunisia, Italy and Central
1942 - The 164th Infantry Regiment landed on Guadacanal to
reinforce the First Marine Division at Henderson Airfield. The regiment became
the first US Army unit to take offensive action against the Japanese during
World War II.
1943 - The 164th Infantry spearheaded the Americal
Division's island hopping against the Japanese in the South Pacific. The 188th
Field Artillery Regiment was split up into the 188th Field Artillery Group, the
188th Field Artillery Battalion, and the 957th Field Artillery
1944 - Members of the 188th and 957th Field Artillery
Battalions landed on Utah Beach and participated in the Cherbourg Offensive and
the Battle of the Bulge while driving onward to Germany.
1945 - World War
II ends with the surrender of Germany and Japan. North Dakota National Guard
units are released from active duty and return home.
1950 & 1951 -
Units of the North Dakota Army National Guard, including the 164th Infantry
Regiment and the 231st Engineer and 188th Field Artillery Battalions were
ordered into federal service for the Korean Conflict.
1955 - The North
Dakota Army National Guard underwent a major organizational change - all of its
units were converted to engineers.
1960 - Elements of the North Dakota
Army National Guard were ordered into federal service for the Berlin Crisis. The
116th Public Information Detachment is formed.
1965 - Provisional
Aviation Detachment organized.
1971 - Provisional Aviation Detachment
becomes the 142nd Medical Detachment (Air Ambulance). 116th Public Information
Detachment changed to 116th Public Affairs Detachment.
1983 - The North
Dakota National Guard received funding from the state legislature to purchase
land in Eddy County. Today the "new" training area is known as Camp Grafton
1984 - Company D, 141st Engineer Battalion, NDARNG, received the
Itschner Award as the most outstanding engineer-sized unit in the Army National
Guard of the United States.
1987 - Company B, 141st
Engineer Battalion, NDARNG, receive the Itschner Award.
1988 - 1st
Battalion 188th Air Defense Artillery and the 136th Quartermaster Battalion
(Water Supply) were organized as elements of the NDARNG.
1989 - Task
Force 164 coordinated civilian and public works missions in
1990 - Company A (-), 2nd Battalion, 137th Aviation and
Detachment 3, HHC, 2nd Battalion, 137th Aviation organized as elements of
NDARNG. The 142nd deactivated and reorganized as the 1214th Medical
1990 - The 136th Quartermaster Battalion (PM) (Water Supply)
including the 132nd and 134th QM Companies and the 131st and the 133rd QM
Detachments, the 818th Medical Battalion, and the 191st Military Police Company
were mobilized for service in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Work was started
on the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery located near Fort Lincoln State Park south
1991 - The 842nd Medical Detachment was mobilized for federal
service at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
1995 - 1214 Medical Air Battalion and
137th combined to form 1-112th Aviation Battalion, (light utility
1996 - 116th Public Affairs Detachment is inactivated and
reorganized into the 129th Public Affairs Detachment. 129th Public Affairs
Detachment activated and deployed for federal duty in Bosnia.
1997 - Over
2300 members of ND National Guard activated for blizzard and flood duty in the
largest state activation in North Dakota history. 129th PAD return from Bosnia.
191st Military Police Company inactivated.
2000 - 156 members of Company
B 142nd Engineer Battalion were mobilized for service in Kosovo to assist in
road building and reconstruction.
2001 - Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and The Horn of Africa
2003 - Operation Iraqi Freedom