North Dakota National Guard
Headquarters shoulder sleeve insignia
This insignia is the North Dakota National Guard Headquarters shoulder sleeve
insignia approved by the Office of Quartermaster General, Department of the
Army, on 29 April 1950. The crest appearing on the shield was approved as the
State Military Crest by the Office of the Quartermaster General, Department of
the Army, on 25 January 1926.
The shield is blue for infantry and is 2
3/8 inches in width and 2 ½ inches in height. The shield is a basic design that
has been used throughout history to symbolize honor, lineage, authority, etc.
The crest (arrows and bow) is a sheaf of three white arrows, armed and
flighted red, behind a stringed yellow bow with red grip. The three arrows and
bow are from the Great Seal of the State of North Dakota and alludes to the
Sioux Indian tribes that roamed the territory of North Dakota and signify mighty
warriors and great hunters.
The colors of the arrows and bow are
representative of the major components of the North Dakota National Guard with
red representing Artillery, red and white representing Engineers, and the yellow
representing Quartermaster and Cavalry which were once major units of the North
Dakota National Guard. Below the arrows and bow is a wreath of six twists of
alternating yellow and blue. This blue and yellow wreath reflects the history of
the territory as part of the Louisiana Purchase.
also have been given other symbolism: Red for hardiness and valor; white for
innocence and purity; and blue for diligence, perseverance, and justice.